13 дек. 2016 г.

Idioms for making small talk

1. Listen and read the conversation. Pay attention to the words in bold.







A: What’s eating you?

B: What do you mean? I’m fine.

A:No,you aren’t. Come on,whatever it is, get  it off your chest.

B:Well… see that woman over there?Her name is Elizabeth. I’ve been trying to find a way to meet het for months, and now, here she is. But I don’t have the guts to walk over there.

A: Come on,Bill! This is your chance. Just give it shot. What do you have to lose?




B: She wouldn’t be caught dead with me.

A: Why do you say that?

B:Oh, let’s skip it, OK? I don’t know why I even told you.

A: How do you know her, anyway?

B: We work in the same building.

A: Well, I think you should just bite the bullet, go over, and start a conversation.

B: Maybe later.

A: Why put it off? Who knows? You two might hit it off.

B:That’ll be the day.

A: Why are you so negative all of a sudden? I’ve never seen you like this.

B: Maybe you’re right. I should take the initiative and walk over there.But what should I say?

A:Now you’re talking. Just introduce yourself and start talking about the party or mention that you’ve seen het at work. She’s bound to recognize you, too.

B: Well, maybe. Oh… you’re probably right. If I pass up this chance, I’ll never forgive myself. Well, here I go! Wish me luck!

2. Useful phrases and their meaning:


    What's eating you? = What's bothering you?

  Get something of  the chest= to reveal something that has been bothering you.
  Have the guts to = have the courage to do something
  Give it a shot= try something

  Bite the bullet= to make a decision to do something after hesitating

 Take the initiative= take the first step in doing something

  Be bound to= will probably,be likely.

  Pass up= to miss a chance.


3. Do the exercise that  you will help you to practise the idioms.





4. Small talk tips. Watch the video and do the quiz.



Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий