27 дек. 2016 г.

Idioms for ordering food in a restaurant


1.  When you eat in a restaurant with your friend, do you usually:



  • go Dutch (split the bill  in half) 
  • treat your friend (pay for him/her) ?









2. Listen and read the conversation. Pay attention to the words in bold.

  



               Are You Ready to Order? 

  SISTER: Oh, it's so nice to eat out and      have time together. What a great birthday  present!

  BROTHER:  I'm glad you like it. I'm always  happy to treat you to lunch. And I was  thinking, you know, we never really have  time to just sit and talk. 

  SISTER: I know. And now we have two  hours! And this is a really nice place. 

  BROTHER: Yeah, I come here once in a  while

SISTER: So, what are you going to have? 

BROTHER: Um. . I'm not sure yet. But you order whatever you want. It's your birthday.

SISTER: Whatever I want? OK. But please don't sing Happy Birthday when we have dessert. If you do, I'll go under the table

BROTHER: You'll never change. Always so shy. 

SISTER: Well, that's me. Anyway, I think I'll have the chicken Caesar salad. What are you going to have? 

BROTHER: The salad sounds good. But I'm going to have soup too because I'm really hungry. 

                                    * * * * * 
WAITRESS: Hi, are you ready to order? 

BROTHER: Yes, we are. 

SISTER: I would like the chicken Caesar salad. 

WAITRESS: Anything to drink? 

SISTER: Just water for now

WAITRESS: And how about you? 

BROTHER: I'll have the same, but I'd also like the vegetable soup. 

WAITRESS: Will that be all? 

BROTHER: Uh-huh. That's all for now. 

WAITRESS: OK. I'll be right back with your soup. 

BROTHER: Thanks. 


3. Useful phrases and their meaning:

to eat out= to eat in restaurant















to treat someone to something= to pay for someone







Similar expression: It's my treat.
Example: Put your wallet away! It's my treat!






once in a while=sometimes















whatever you want= you can have anything that you want







I'll have= I would like to order
















for now= for the moment



Example: That's all for now!












4. Do the exercise which will help you to memorise the idioms.




5. Write your answers to these questions  in comments:

How often do you eat out?  
Can you order whatever you want?


















Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий